Product Tutorials

How to Avoid Marbling

You have prepared all the products and materials for your next nail masterpiece! However, begin your first nail, you notice that the pigments are unintentionally distorted and uneven. Oh no! No worries, it happens to even the best of us sometimes. It may be due to marbling.

What is marbling?

Marbling is the dissociation of pigments on your nail, causing unwanted, uneven colors. 

However, some designs intentionally create a "marble" design, if you want to learn more about intentional marbling, please let us know!

Unintentional marbling may be splotchy, unrefined, or simply just a straight-up strange-looking pigment mess.

If you would like to learn more about how to alleviate unintentional marbling, Read on! ♡

Why does marbling occur? Three Causes.

First things first, we have to know why marbling occurs. There are several reasons marbling happens such as an incompatible monomer, forgetting to stir the powder well, or the wrong dip ratio. Let's tackle these three dilemmas one by one.

1. Incompatible monomer. 

Compatibility is very important. Your dip and monomer have to go together. They're like soulmates, they are made for each other.

You may find a slow-setting monomer that matches with the powder, however, if you are going to do a trial-and-error phase that would require buying different types of monomers that will go with your powder, you may actually be spending more money than you would have if you had just bought its match. If that is the case, we recommend just buying the monomer made for the specific powder.

2. Forgetting to Stir. 

Other than mixing and matching, you got to mix! Make sure to stir your powders, as during shipment they may be affected by the Pareto rule (80-20 rule). This is basically a fancy term for sparsity. 80% of the powders would stay close to each other, while the remaining 20% would remain relatively distant from the bunch.

3. Dip-Monomer Ratio.

When it's too Wet.

If your brush is overly wet, a runny, not-so pigmented uneven acrylic mess would form. The runniness would under-saturate areas because your brush wouldn't control the overly diluted pigment. 

When it's too Dry.

Okay, have you ever over-washed or put in too much soap in your laundry? or maybe put shampoo on without water? The way it is stiff, dry, and hard to manage is much like what happens to your bead when your brush is soaked enough. To get a better bead, nearly soak the brush (do not make it runny) in your monomer and firmly pat the acrylic to get a good form. In contrast to the overly wet scenario, the pigment may become overly saturated in some areas, if not splotchy due to the unevenness of the powder buildup.


How do I stop my nails from marbling? Prevention.

1. Prep Your Nails Properly!

Nail prepping is often neglected. However, it sets the canvas to your design. A lumpy, uneven canvas would leave an imbalanced or bumpy base that would disrupt the natural flow of your design. The more effort you put into properly prepping your nails will go a long way.
No worries, fellow beauties! We got the article just for you: How to Prep your Nails Like a Pro

2. Clear Dip for Clarity!

If the colors really don't get through, after doing preparation, mixing, and application thoroughly, we highly recommend mixing our DP01 Clear Powder. The DP01 with your chosen dip is a great way to evenly disperse the particles and help amplify the formation of your desired pigment without altering its shade, since it is a colorless powder. along with your Dip Powder.

3. Avoid Contamination!

When using your brush, kindly make sure that powders from the previous design have been fully removed to avoid contamination. It may cause marbling to your design, because the pigments were not well-mixed together. When two pigments art placed together without mixing would make a heterogenous mixture, an uneven sprout of colors that do not completely blend.

4. A Beautiful Bead

To create the perfect bead (no marbling), completely wet the brush and gently slide it to the side of your dish (where you placed the monomer). This method of lightly removing excess liquid from the brush would help avoid runniness. Afterward, firmly pat the acrylic on your nail without disrupting your bead form or dragging the acrylic. 

Pro Tip! As you pat it down, make sure that your brush is still wet.

 Any other questions or suggestions regarding what article you would like to see next? Kindly email us at and let us know! We would also like to warmly welcome you to the iGel Beauty Facebook community for more tips, tricks, and inspiration. We hope to meet you soon!

Recently Viewed Articles

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published